Friday, May 3, 2013

Before reading The Hunger Games, I knew the basic premise for the story, that kids were put in an arena and forced to fight to the death. I did not think about the book's logistics, however. In many dystopian novels shock value plays a large role in the book's plot. I think that this is especially true in The Hunger Games, as well as in The Road. The Hunger Games depicts a society in which kids are mutilated by other kids while the rest of the society watches. In The Road, the man and the boy come across horrific sights, such as many dead bodies and people practicing cannibalism. I believe that it is this shock value that makes the reader so intrigued to continue reading even through difficult material. This was definitely the case in the road, and I predict that as The Hunger Games becomes more cut throat, the material will be even more graphic and subsequently more compelling.

2 comments:

  1. That is a very interesting idea! I have read The Hunger Games a while ago, and I remember being particularly horrified with some aspects especially the brutality of the interactions between characters once in the arena. I don't think it's the only reason books like this and The Road are so compelling, however. Especially for this novel, the story line and the characters are so well-developed and two dimensional, and the writing is so great that the whole book really keeps the reader intrigued. I definitely agree with you though, because my book, Super Sad True Love Story isn't as bluntly graphic or hard-hitting, but it also isn't as captivating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right - the shock value in this book is quite compelling. Collins certainly allows us to align ourselves with Katniss, which then makes us respond powerfully when she is forced into difficult situations. Unlike The Road, Collins's narrative is more fiery, more lively, and perhaps that allows for an even deeper investment.

    ReplyDelete