Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Post #2

I'm posting this on behalf of Patrick, who's having account troubles:


"As i read more about the hunger games i realize how pointless it really is. the whole game is rigged. the game maker can chose to make the weather hot or cold, day time or night time, filled with danger or safety. it frustrates me because the whole point is to survive the games and to use your skills to do that. What's the point of having a skill if accentually the game maker can chose who lives and who dies? The tributes are pushed towards one other due to dehydration, forest fire, animals, etc... (all created by the game maker) which i find ridiculous, why cant the game maker just make the arena smaller in the beginning?"

2 comments:

  1. And now I'll comment too... :)

    I think the pointlessness is supposed to be frustrating. It frustrates Katniss, who is skilled and capable but still grapples with the gamemakers' decisions. And don't forget, the purpose of the Games is to assert the Capital's power over the Districts, and incrementally changing the game to challenge the tributes is one way of doing that. The kids aren't in control - the Capital is. That's part of what makes the ending so powerful...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, Patrick. I was especially frustrated by the scene in which Katniss is chased by fire. This is the first time she truly realizes how vulnerable she is and how much power the Capital has over her survival. I am also frustrated by the concept of sponsors. It is not clear exactly how the sponsors operate. It seems that Katniss (as well as the reader) is always hopeful that a sponsor will pull through for her at the right moment. The sponsors play a devious game just like the Gamemakers, and this is very frustrating to me. But I see your point, Ms. Graham, that this adds to the suspense of the novel and makes me want to read it more, which in the end makes the experience of following the plot more intriguing.

    ReplyDelete